THE FAMILY THAT STRAYS TOGETHER...STAYS TOGETHER!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Walkin' In Memphis

"I'll stay in Memphis." ~ Elvis Presley


Over the next few days, I will be sharing my Dream Destinations with you.  They are all places I am either already planning on visiting, or am hoping to go to soon.  

Vacations are as unique and distinctive as the individuals who plan them.  Some people look forward to theme parks with the kids, others desire a restful, tropical beach, and still others look for mountain get-aways with plenty of hiking and fishing.  All of those places are enjoyable destinations, but for me, I like kitsch.

I am all about the people,food and storymaking when I travel!  It seems the more unusual the venue, the more incredible the people that you meet. It takes a certain genius to make an industry out of brazen tastelessness.  That kind of genius attracts the most extraordinary audience.  And I want to meet that audience!

Anyone can hang out with a bunch of beach bums in Hawaii.  But where is the conversation in that?  Everyone has the same story.  Honeymooners, newlyweds, oldlyweds on an anniversary trip.  Same stories, different faces.  Forget the mundane - Give me the brazen, the tasteless, the extraordinary!  

First stop:  ELVIS PRESLEY'S GRACELAND


I have actually been to Graceland already.  Well, okay...not in Graceland, but I have been to the gift shop.  We took a side trip to the Elvis shrine that is Elvis Presley Blvd. just so I could see it.  But there were 8 of us traveling...and at 37.00 a pop to actually go in the gates - well, you do the math.  It was gas to get home or Graceland!  Gas won. (but only because Kahuna insisted!)

Junior and I will be traveling to Virginia this summer and are hoping to make a stopover at the King's residence on our way home.  I am only taking Junior because she is the only one in my family that truly appreciates Elvis like I do....though, I suspect it is for this reason only....
What can I say, she has good taste!



I really want to take the Graceland tour.  I want to see the Jungle Room.  I admit it.  No shame.  None.  Because the beauty of Elvis Presley is that you could never be born too late to be a fan!  

Elvis died when I was 9 years old.  But that means nothing.  He was bigger than life, and we still have access to him through music, movies, and books.  We can choose an instant play movie of his on Netflix, iTunes is rife with his music...performed by he and many others... and we can Google a gazillion images of him in one keystroke.  Instant Elvis keeps us as perpetual fans!

And then, there is that chance, that once in a lifetime possibility that we...just...might...meet...him.  Though many people think that Elvis began being sighted in Kalamazoo, MI in 1987, according to the Elvis Information Network, spiritual and live sightings of Elvii began occurring immediately after his "death".  

I don't want to overstate the obvious, but if you owned this....
Peacock Room in Elvis Presley's Graceland Mansion

Would you be hanging out here......
Kalamazoo, MI

Just sayin'....I will take my chances trying to sight Elvis at Graceland.  And if he "isn't home", as they like to say at his estate, I will just trek down to Democrat Road in Memphis and check out the King of the World: Elvis Tribute Artist World Championships!  Here I can meet literally hundreds of Elvii!    You can, too!  From the rules of the contest, it seems every forethought has been meticulously planned to give the most authentic Elvis Experience...including rules number 3 and 11 which strictly mandate the use and sharing of scarves during a performance!

I am thinking that after a hard day of touring the King's Rock 'n Roll Palace and investigating his disappearance, Junior and I are going to need some serious nourishment.  I am hoping to catch us a great PB&B sandwich (Fried Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich...yes, I know it is unhealthy, but yolo..unless you are Elvis, who may or may not be on his second life according to this information).  It seems to me, in my research, that the best place to try this hip shakin' super sandwich will be at the oldest restaurant in Memphis, the Arcade.  They bury the sandwich on the last page of their online menu, but most reviews say, this is the place to go for Presley's favorite num num!

I hope to end the day with a good night's rest.  Where, you ask?  Well, where else would an Elvis fan stay?
Perhaps in one of the Elvis-themed Suites here...

I hope to make the pilgrimage visit in June.  Any helpful hints on tracking down the King or other things to do in Memphis that are Elvis related, are greatly appreciated!  Leave them in the comments section because right now, I

Gotta Mosey!







1 comment:

  1. HOPE U GET TO GO TO ,I WAS LIKE YOU VISIT THE FREE AREA AND I THOUGHT WELL I'LL GO BACK BUT HAVE NOT THE PICTURES WE TOOK WERE LOST WE WERE MOVING TO FLORDIA , BUT HELL THEY HAVE RAISED EVERYTHING IF U GO TAKE PICTURES FOR ME TO SEE.IM TRYING TO WRITE A BOOK BECAUSE ALOT OF STUFF DONT ADD UP WITH HIS DEATH WHAT HE DID WITHIN THAT WEEK ,THAN PICTURES OF HIM AT GRACELAND, I THINK ELVIS IS STILL IN THE BULDING IF YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS TO HELP LET ME KNOW BJHORSMAN2000@YAHOO.COM THANKS

    ReplyDelete