THE FAMILY THAT STRAYS TOGETHER...STAYS TOGETHER!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Streets of San Francisco

"Racing is life.  Anything before or after is just waiting." ~ Steve McQueen


If you have been reading my blog recently, you know I am gearing up for a trip out West to the Golden State of California.  I have prepared for packing fiascoes, airport issues and flying hassles.  I thought I was done planning the bulk of my trip when I realized one thing - Butterfly and I want to go to San Francisco's Chinatown and we don't have a car.

Now, I am researching one-day car rentals to get into the City for some good food, interesting shopping and art gazing.  Turns out, renting a car for use in San Francisco isn't as straightforward as renting a car in say, Kansas.  The hills in San Francisco require that you consider your rental carefully, while also brushing up on special circumstance driving tips.

Here is what I have learned so far:

Because of the hills, drivers in San Francisco need to remember the basics of parking.  Most visitors to the City don't live on hills like the ones found in San Francisco, so it is important to become reacquainted with how to park on them.  When parking on a down hill, turn your wheels toward the street.   When parking uphill, turn them the opposite way.  Or is it the other way around?  I can never remember and I just read the parking tips five minutes ago!  I am going to avoid the decision all together and park at this lot where my car will be safe from downhill rolls and other cars.


Hills also propose a problem for people when they are driving....unless you are Steve McQueen.  I am thinking when I go to San Francisco, I am going to rent a Mustang 2008 Bullitt Edition.  Because surely, if Ford has gone through all the trouble of re-releasing the Mustang Fastback to glorify and memorialize the 1968 car, they want us to drive it like the original, too.  At least, that is what I am counting on!  Me and Butterfly on the Streets of San Francisco.  Just like Steve! Oh yeah.....




Travel BUMMER alert!  You cannot rent a 2008 OR even a 1968 Mustang Fastback to drive in San Francisco.  But, wait til you see what you CAN drive in San Francisco!  I am thinking this is our best option for touring the city.  Parking will be no issue, no engine to worry about stalling...AND...we already own one Big Wheel, that Butterfly can use.  Now, if I can just get my hands on a Scootcase, I will have something to ride, too!


I need to find an American distributor of the Scootcase so I can go test drive one for handling on curves and hills!  If you have a lead, let me know.  Right now, I

Gotta Mosey!









No comments:

Post a Comment